Most DUI’s are filed as misdemeanors.
How long is a Misdemeanor DUI on your record?
- A misdemeanor DUI is on your criminal and DMV record for 10 years.
- After 10 years, the courts and DMV cannot use that DUI against you.
- The ten year time period begins on your arrest date.
Penalties for Felony DUI
A felony is a more serious crime than a misdemeanor and carries much higher penalties. In California, if you have 4 DUI’s within 10 years or you are involved in a serious accident and someone is hurt seriously you face a Felony DUI charge. You can be charged with a felony DUI even if a passenger in your car is hurt seriously.
Do you face jail time in California for a Felony DUI? – Yes. Felony DUIs are very serious because you face the following penalties:-
- a minimum state prison sentence of 16 months
- and parole after your sentence.
How long is a Felony DUI on your record?
- A felony DUI is on your record for 10 years.